Monday, November 2, 2009

Maybe this one


I have a dozen (at least) WIPs going on, but I rarely let myself think about that. Maybe this project I'll finish while the weather is still cold in the '09-'10 winter season.  I'm working on the Metropole knitted coat pattern from Mason-Dixon's Knitting Outside the Lines pattern book, and maybe, just maybe, by going public with it, I'll actually be incented to work on it regularly and often enough to finish it within a few months.  I'm a slow knitter, and it doesn't help that I have two other active projects going on. One is a log-cabin blanket for my neice's baby girl, and the other is a sweater I designed that I've been working on for no less than three years. I love the yarn I picked - Cadena from Knit Picks. It's soft, drapes beautifully, and feels really nice against the skin.  This is my first major project using wool - yep, in 40 on and off years of knitting, I've only used wool or a wool-blend maybe 4 times.  Always thought wool was too itchy, and I do break out in rashes with some types of wool, which is why I've kept away from making anything with it. Plus, as a preteen way back when I first learned to knit, acrylic yarns were all I could afford from the local Woolworth on my $2 per week salary earned from walking younger kids to school. Then in high school, I taught myself to crochet, and made scads of groovy vests from the selections out of the discounted yarn bins.  No wool there! I swear some of the yarns I bought were so synthetic they squeaked when squeezed.
So here I am, in my mid 50's and I finally transitioned to wool; all those years wasted! To any of you knitters/crocheters out there who haven't tried the real deal, go to http://www.knitpicks.com/ and look at the beautiful, affordable selection of yarns they sell. You will be impressed, trust me.
So if anyone comes across this post, give me a nudge. Help get me to finish this coat!

No comments: